Sunday, September 9, 2012

Tattoos

Tattoos. Before you get one, please think about it ---- LONG TERM. I don’t personally have one myself. Part of my trepidation is not the pain that comes with it, but what it will look like if I am lucky enough to live into my 70’s/80’s/90’s. 
Think about it people. Over time our skin loses it’s luster and resiliency. I don’t care how much money you spend on the best skin care products. Eventually your skin turns stretchy and wrinkly. Especially if your weight fluctuates. When your skin stretches out, especially as an older, more mature person…..it doesn’t ever quite return to its original texture!

My Dad, an Army man, had a tattoo. One tattoo. On his lower forearm. It was olive green in color, and was a symbolic type shape. He never did explain what it was, when he got it, or why - and we didn’t ask. When I was younger I would describe it as some sort of Army symbol in Army green.

When he got well into his senior years, I didn’t think much of it anymore. But, taking the time to look at it from the perspective of someone who hadn’t known him in his younger years, it was really just a strange discolored blotch on his skin. If it had writing on it, you never would have been able to figure out what it said! But, it was small and did not stand out. I bet some of my long time friends would even say, “I didn’t even realize your Dad had a tattoo!”.

Today's advice:  Please, think carefully before you body-art yourself. Especially if you are considering either a large piece of art, or one where the small details are important, or one with any writing. Because in 20, 30, 40 years, your tattoo will not resemble what it originally was.

Your kids and long term friends may remember the beauty it held from your younger, more vibrant years. But to anyone just meeting you, it will just be a blotchy, stretchy, discolored section of your skin. It may even look like you are suffering from some awful skin condition or disease.  Ewwwww. 

And when it reaches that point, you will not be able to make a U-Turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment